Tuesday 27 March 2012

Natural Food Coloring

OK, I was in a bind.  My three year old as been complaining that all the other kids in his preschool class get lemonade, and he only gets water.  I've asked the teachers not to give Noah the artificial HFCS with red dye #40 brand name pink lemonade they serve.  He already brings his own snack because of his severe life threatening allergies.  But like his older brother, even if he didn't have the allergies, I'd still pack his lunch and/or snack to keep it all natural.

I don't think children should r food with lots of "non-food" ingredients in it.

Anyway, so I recently started sending in my own lemonade in a bottle for him.  Only problem is, he wants pink lemonade, not yellow.

OK, how can I turn this pink.  My Whole foods all natural food coloring is dried up so not working (I'm thinking brown lemonade is just NOT appealing...)

So I think....what's red in my kitchen?  Strawberries!

So I take a couple of strawberries, blend it up very fine (I have a magic bullet but a food processor would work), then strain it into a cup.  I pour this liquid into his lemonade and bingo!  He had pink lemonade.  Actually, he hasstrawberry lemonade - yum!



The whole process took me less than 2 minutes.  More clean up?  certainly!  But my child is going to school chemical free - and that certainly is sweet!

4 comments:

  1. Shelby, Google directed me here on a search for Paleo and PCOS (makes sense, that's your title, right?). My heart goes out to you as you walk through your grief. I just wanted you to know that someone in Ohio is praying for you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Emmy. That's so very kind of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I did something similar with my son. We get raw milk from a local farm, and it has a noticeably different scent. Not terrible, but enough for my 8yo to balk. So we make homemade strawberry syrup to help. It got to the point where we don't even strain it anymore and he's still thrilled. Not perfect, I'd much rather he just drink the milk straight, but this isn't the hill to die on, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete