Wednesday 31 August 2011

It Budged!

Hooray! the scale has budged! After a month of plateau, the scale seems to have finally moved. I am into the 170's and it's not a fluke. It's been like this for a week, so I will take it as a good number.

I can't begin to tell you how relieved I am. It also was yet another lesson for me. For years, I yo-yo'ed between 185 - 195. I would get motivated, slowly lose weight...and never really make it lower than 185 or so. I was at a nice healthy weight for my height and bone structure at my wedding: 165. I felt good and my clothes fit. I was happy there. It was nice there. I want to go back there!!!

But platueas can get to the best of intentions. I have probably made my husband crazy with my crankiness and frustration with the scale., And no, I was not "building muscle" instead...All my measurements have pretty much halted too. And it was beating me down.

I wrote last of being strong. This challenge was another test of my strength. Was I going to give up, or keep fighting? I very nearly gave up. Whenever the kids requested pizza for lunch, it would tempt me. When they ask for dessert at night, it tempts me. But there comes a time in life when you must make a choice and hold yourself accountable. Yes, for some it can be really hard, but in the end, it all comes down to making a choice. "I couldn't help it" is just an excuse.

The weight is coming off at a snail's pace...roughly about 4 pounds a month or so. I will continue to be tested (insert my grumpy face here) But also, it can be an opportunity. One where I can look in the mirror, be proud of what I see, and find peace with myself. I am creating a healthy life for me and my family.

That's worth the challenge, isn't it?

By the way, I think the problem ultimately is I wasn't eating enough. Paleo makes you much less hungry...there are no sugar or carb cravings, and meals keep you pretty full. I often have to force myself to eat something at meal times. I am trying harder to hit my calorie count of about 1500 calories a day. Often times, I only hit 1000, but I am working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment