Friday 1 July 2011

And so onto the Paleo diet

So I was in. No prep, no "last meal" or better yet, last bowl of ice cream. I knew if I put it off one day, if I didn't seize the moment, it would be lost. I was intrigued, motivated, I didn't want to lose that. It started with that moment before I even had breakfast.

I started that day to read Robb Wolf's book "The Paleo Solution" which my husband had loaded into my ibooks. I resonated with the first chapter immediately, as my mom was always sick (still is) with serious autoimmune diseases. I hate what it's done to our family and want more than anything to avoid that for my kids. I do not want to saddle them with that burden.

After that, it got real dicey. I am sure the man is brilliant and far more intelligent than I, so please don't thinkI am putting him down. But I was lost in the science. I am an amazingly quick reader, but I had to read the first half of the book page by page slowly and it took me almost 10 days. There's just so much info... I didn't understand, or I guess I should say retain, half of what I read.

BUT, the good news is, I don't have to. Even the author said that. I got the general gist of what he was saying...I just don't know if I believe him yet. On one hand, wouldn't it be incredible to have a "cure" to these horrible things? On the other hand, I was pissed, what if it is a cure and all these years I could have avoided the heartache off TTC and losses? Of feeling sick, being fat, the yo-yo dieting...

But I came to the conclusion. I believe God causes all things to come together for our good. If all that hadn't happen, my children would not be the children they are. And I wouldn't trade them for anything. Any mom would walk the fires of hell for her children. It just so happens, it feels like I have.

So a few days into my "experiment" I decided to document the whole thing via this blog. If I am a success, my fellow "cysters" (Pcos'ers) need to know about this. I'm trying not to think about if it doesn't work. But if it doesn't, it won't be because I didn't comply. So today is day 12. I am only down 2 pounds so far, but I am prepared for the idea that it might take me longer.

I have this idea, call it a hunch. I have NO scientific data to prove this - no studies- zilch. I didn't cause my insulin resistance by over eating carbs, I was born this way. I know this. So while the author suggests only 30 days to feeling better, I feel like I should give it at least until Sept 1. My bi-annual bloodwork is due then anyway, and we can use that, along with how I feel and what I weigh, what I measure, how I look, to see if this really worked.

So let day 12 begin. I am on my way to shop "Paleo" really for the first time. I've been picking up odds and ends to make it through to Pay day, but this is the first big shopping. Wonder will be on the menu tonight?

speaking of which, last night's dinner: Spaghetti and meatballs. Instead of traditional pasta, we used spaghetti squash. We just omitted bread crumbs from the meatballs. Bake them in the oven first and they won't fall apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment