Monday 6 May 2013

Just another step down the IVF trail....

There's not much to report at this stage of the game.  For the past two days, I've just given myself the injections of Gonal-F at night (225IU) and Menopur in the morning (3 vials).  This morning (cd 19 if you are keeping track) I had another bloodwork draw and scan.  Dr. G commented that my lining was thin but that kind of makes sense.... I've been spotting since stopping the bcp's.  Only just stopped spotting yesterday.  He said we will just have to wait and see what the bloodwork reveals.

It revealed that my estrogen was 400 something and that I would continue on the current levels of injections until Wed morning at which time I will have more bloodwork and another scan.

I can tell you that while the needles are the same size as those used for insulin, the medication inside is not.  All I can say is OUCH.

This is the assortment I use to mix the menopur.



 I don't actually use the long needle at all, just the syringe part of it.  I screw off the needle end, and screw on the clear plastic "Q-cap" to mix everything. Then I screw off the Q-cap and screw on the half inch needle for the actual injection.


Honestly, sticking the needle in does not hurt at all, at least not me.  What hurts is the medicine (menopur the most) going in.  It burns and I can feel it spreading.  I have found that icing the area before hand helps tremendously.  The tonal-F is not nearly as bad.  But my IVF nurse had given me the advice to let the filled syringe sit for 10 minutes to come to room temp.  I have done this and the pain is minimal.

But my tummy really hurts.  I really do feel like a pin cushion. It feels slightly swollen, but hugely bruised.  I am wearing looser clothing so as not to rub up against the area.  Side effects are not too bad....some headaches and dizziness but only when I bend over, like to tie my shoe.  And emotional.  I feel like I want to cry over the silliest little things.  Trying to keep that in check so as not to make my husband crazy.

Is it difficult?  yes.  Unbearable?  No.  I don't like it, but so far, it's nothing I can't handle.  Still not trying to worry about if I will have enough eggs retrieved to do this, still not thinking about getting through all the cycles in my package and not getting pregnant.  I have been searching my heart...Is this really worth it?  Do I really want another baby.  I can honestly and sincerely say yes.  I want it as badly as ever.

And so ends cd 19.

1 comment:

  1. can I ask how many cycles did you pre purchase? I'm starting my own journey here, I wanted to let you know that I appreciate your experience (similar to my own) and it is helping me alot to read.

    ReplyDelete